IT Job Interview Culture

Are you an IT manager / chief developer / architect responsible for interviewing candidates for a software development position? If so, I bet 90% of you could as well flip a coin to decide for or against a certain candidate. I’ll tell you why in the following article.

Let me start with an analogy. Assume you want to build a house, so you are looking for an architect to do so. Further assume that you have one recommendation and two architects you searched for on the internet. You checked their websites and liked what they have build/designed so far. So you have an interview situation. You want to know which of the three to choose. I guess this will sound familiar to most of you so far. Now for the, I admit predictable, shocker. Next thing is that you invite each candidate to a personal meeting. You do some small talk, you ask a couple of questions about the candidates previous work, etc. Then, out of a sudden, you present the candidate a sheet of paper with a math test in it. Some geometry, some linear algebra and some calculus for the sake of completeness.

“Wait a minute” I hear you say. This guy has been working as an architect for the past 15 years and has built dozens of houses, you don’t need to have him do a math test for gods sake!

Ok, you know where this is going. So for the same reason, if you want to interview me, please do not

• ask me to write “working” code on a sheet of paper,
  • have me find bugs on a printed piece of code,
  • ask me silly, super-detailed questions about programming language XY you downloaded from the internet 5 mins before the interview,
  • compare me to your other colleagues who all can code a full featured address book application in 2 hours,

Then again, please also do not

• choose me because I am the nicest candidate yet,
  • blindly trust my resume,
  • believe all I say when asked “can you do XY?”

Instead, please invite me with enough time. Get to know me. Then, let me pair program with one of your developers on a small problem. A problem that your dev has not solved 100 times before. Because it does not matter whether I solve the problem or not. What matters is my attitude and work style when working with you on something real. Experience how I approach problems and cooperate with a team member. If I am more experienced, do I take the lead and let your dev learn something? If I am less experienced, do I try to learn how your dev is doing things? Do I take care about the code I am producing? Do I write tests? Etc. This is what you will be paying for if you decide to hire me. You won’t pay me to solve sorting algorithm questions on sheets of paper.

18 Responses to “IT Job Interview Culture”

1. bisnisbaju surabaya 11/12/2015 at 11:26 am #

This goes a long way in developing CRM and loyalty management as truly competitive tools and helps you to harness the
    full potential of tthe concept of customer lifetime value.
    Therefore, the problem noow occurs that from whesre you can find these directories.
    Take a good look at the plus size men’s wear available from thhe wholesale dropshipper.

• Kaiden 30/04/2016 at 1:00 am #

Hi ClnUuia,uafortdnately we don’t have a serving opportunity for the evening of the 6th, however you are welcome to join us at our fundraiser STC Unplugged.If you could email me your available times for the Saturday the 9th that would be fantastic as i will be coordinating talk to the hand. My email is Looking forward to serving with you!

• http://www.modestochirooffices.com/ 01/05/2016 at 3:11 am #

« Je ne sais pas a quoi carbure Miniphasme mais son drôle de « fait ribote » aurait amplement mérité de figurer dans le quizz de LSP . » — Ernest | le 19 juin 2011 à 21 h 49 min Si vous appréciez le charme de ces expressions délicieusement désuètes, je vous conseille la Petite anthologie des mots rares et charmants (Albin Michel).

• car insurance 05/06/2016 at 7:17 am #

that is an excellent link! Thanks.Although I have to say….It would be easier to expect a vampire to eat garlic and wear a cross than to get an obot to actually research the natural born citizenship issue.

• http://www.houseisinthebag.com/ 14/06/2016 at 4:49 pm #

That’s a genuinely impressive answer.

• Gracias por tu presencia, tu saludo «in situ», y ahora además por esa foto de la mesa de Salud en la que aparezco… y que intento «copiarte» sin conseguirlo. ¿Puedes hacermela llegar, o levantarle el bloqueo ? Me gustaría usarla, con tu permiso para ilustrar el post de la Fiesta en Dempeus y en mi blog «La ratera». Gracias de nuevo compa !! Salud ! Toni Barbará

• http://www./ 30/12/2016 at 1:57 pm #

Thanks for these guidelines. One thing I also believe is that credit cards presenting a 0% monthly interest often entice consumers along with zero interest rate, instant acceptance and easy over-the-internet balance transfers, but beware of the real factor that may void your own 0% easy road annual percentage rate as well as throw anybody out into the poor house in no time.

2. Lina 30/04/2016 at 1:08 am #

Our medic had to perform an emergency ciousmcicirn while on patrol. I remembered how he used the inside of the 4×4 package to create a surgical field. Perhaps that’s what we see here? I’m not sure.

3. http://www.freequotes.dynddns.us/ 20/07/2016 at 4:21 pm #

Yes it is fun. But if there’s any embedded flash objects in the page… or say Youtube. Then the flash object/ Video will appear to the cropper page even if you dont crop anywhere near it.Its really really fun. A great way to make things widgetized in a funny way.

4. because everyone has two bloody cameras just lying around… oh and ive been trying to become a partner for over a year and i have 343 subbers and over 60,000 viewswhy are you so sh*t at your job?? >:(

5. http://netarchive.site/barneys.com 11/10/2016 at 7:56 am #

Net die samenwerking tussen verschillende media lijkt me iets wat toch in het belang is van de onderzoeksjournalistiek: nu lijkt het alsof het wiel voor de vierde keer wordt uitgevonden. Natuurlijk zal daar een prijskaartje aanhangen, maar het lijkt me sterk dat de zoekmachines van de andere media afhankelijk zijn van specifieke zoekvragen. Dan is het namelijk geen zoekmachine meer.

6. delhipolice.nic.in 28/10/2016 at 3:00 am #

Eduards Lunis saka:VARBŪT TE TÄ€ TAS NOTIEK PIRMS PASAULES GALATAD VAR PACIEST UN SAPRAST-VIÅ…I VELK SAVÄ€ ALÄ€BEZ JÄ’GAS, BEZ IZPRATNES VISU TÄ€ DARAJŪS PIRMSNÄ€VES TRULUMS, TUR SAVÄ€ VARÄ€…NEVAJADZÄ’S VIÅ…AM PENSIJU…

7. http://www./ 04/11/2016 at 3:21 am #

Il y a vraiment des hommes qui sont nostalgiques de l’époque où les femmes étaient soumises?La seule chose, c’est que ça «facilitait» le fait d’être un homme! Il pouvait avoir «naturellement» le pouvoir sur un autre être humain, histoire de se remonter l’égo, faute de l’avoir ailleurs! Vouloir retourner à ce «temps béni» c’est purement et simplement un manque de couilles!

8. Obama's election represented the end of America as a project of the European diaspora. Electing Romney isn't going to reverse that or even slow it down. He's one of them. The GOP convention was a pathetic capitulation to the liberal mindset. In fact, if I were a liberal I'd vote for Romney. Obama's too obvious.

9. http://www./ 13/11/2016 at 6:20 pm #

That is exactly why I like football…all the yummy food associated with it:-) Those star cups are too cool…and that checkerboard cake…awesome. Thank you for hosting each week.

10. http://www./ 15/11/2016 at 7:28 pm #

Please fix the zoomed in issue/regression!! It broke during the second to last beta release, and it's also present in the stable release channel.If Chrome is supposed to bring desktop browsing to mobile, sites should load like they do on Chrome on the desktop, specially while browsing on tablets.

11. degree programs evening 27/11/2016 at 3:46 pm #

It’s a joy to find someone who can think like that

12. sofort kredit geld falten 12/02/2017 at 7:06 pm #

C’est aussi ce qui fait progresser.Le regard des autres est là pour nous guider, il ne doit pas être plus important que tout le reste, mais doit en parti compter dans notre évolution photographique!